Thursday, March 15, 2007

Yes, I know I'm updating and I said I wouldn't! Old habits die hard and I'm a bit of an internet addict. On a random note, they just started playing a different mix of Aisha (by Faudel or Khaled? Khaled, I think), a song that's been on my playlist for the last few years. It's Rai music which is sort of French/North African in usually French or Arabic. I'm not doing the genre justice, but it's magical to hear it here.

In any case, last night we went jelleba shopping! Two of our HCN (Home country national= Moroccan) staff went with us and I think we stressed them out! There were probably 10 of us trainees who wanted to have one made and we were going nuts with the fabric and the different cuts and trim. Mine will be a sort of a purple-striped floor length one with a hood and black trim. I hope it turns out okay. Jellebas are probably one of the most distinctive part of Moroccan dress I've seen. Men usually wear darker colors: browns, black, tans, and darker reds or greens, but women wear them in any sort of color or pattern possible. Right now, according to one of our teachers, orange, green, and pink are sort of the "in" colors. Mine should be done by the 29th. I chose a light fabric for summer, but have seen some incredible winter ones. I'm thinking maybe of saving up for a corduroy one. We'll see.
 
Today was supposed to be souk day, but due to striking transportation workers, there wasn't really a souk today so we learned more Arabic. Tonight, we find out which Berber language we'll be learning, which is the first sort of glimpse of what site we'll eventually live in for two years. I definitely have a preference but am keeping an open mind about it, but it's keeping me on edge waiting to find that out as well as who will be in and lead my small language/culture learning group. I'll be sure to let you know when I know and come to the cyber!
 
Thanks for all your emails and comments. They mean a lot even if I don't respond to each one of them. I'm thinking of all of you.

No comments: