Thursday, January 18, 2007

The beginning.

Marhaba!

Welcome! This blog will soon become a place for me to update about my experiences as an invitee (currently), a trainee (from 3.3.07-5.07), and a Volunteer (5.07-5.09) with the United States Peace Corps in the Health Extension sector of Morocco.

I will not update again until I've made it in-country, but I wanted to go ahead and get a blog started that I will be able to give the link now to people who are interested. I don't know for sure if I'll be able to keep a blog or how often I will be able to update, but hopefully if I'm able, this will be the place!

Why "shwiyabshwiya"? I kept a blog while studying abroad in China and would like to do the same while in Morocco, but I did not know what to call it. I don't know where I will be in Morocco. I don't know what languages I will be learning (most likely Darija: Moroccan Arabic, and either Atlas Tamazight or Tachelhit which are Amazigh languages). I don't know what kind of projects my community will want me to assist with. I have very little to work from as far as what kind of expectations to have, but I do know this much: I expect to be sick often, I expect to have problems communicating with people, I expect to struggle with languages, I expect to struggle with issues related to gender, I expect to be very lonely at times, I expect to make an absolute fool out of myself and laugh at myself often, and I expect to have the time of my life.

The more I thought of a journal title, the more "Shwiya b shwiya" made sense to me. I learned that phrase from reading current PCV (Peace Corps Volunteers) blogs. It means "Little by little." To me, I think that is the most realistic expectation to have... to expect to do everything little by little. Baby steps. Enshallah.

So there you have it. The Peace Corps has been a dream for me since I was fifteen. Eight years later, I wait anxiously, getting rid of superfluous stuff, saying goodbyes, trying unsuccessfully to learn Darija, and of course, the typical dilemma of not knowing what to pack. I know in the long run, it doesn't matter if I pack three skirts or two, or if I have a solar charger or not, but it is much easier to fixate on those questions than what it will be like to possibly live in the desert for two years in a place where all I can say right now is "ana mirikaniya, lebas, l-Hamdullah, bgrit n-ness, ana xaddama maa hayat s-salaam."

I'm embarking full of questions and full of excitement; and for the time being, (until after orientation and I learn about PC's official policy on blogging), I leave you with links!

www.peacecorps.gov
www.friendsofmorocco.org
http://french.about.com/library/travel/bl-ma-index.htm
http://www.mincom.gov.ma/
http://www.peacecorpsjournals.com/mo.html

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Katy!

You probably do not remember me (or maybe you do!), but I am currently applying to Peace Corps. I'm curious as to when you started and when you actually got accepted (or nominated?). Are acceptances and nominations essentially the same thing?

Sorry for all the questions!
Morroco is going to be great!

All the best,
Zulema
(we're friends via facebook; my email addy is on there if you get a chance to write me back)

Anonymous said...

Katy,
Your posts are great! We are following your experiences. We'll keep in touch (once we've figured out how to send our reply to you).
Love,
The Gormans